Westmead (Sydney), Media Release Western Sydney Local Health District, 10 Nov, 2023: Westmead Hospital is launching Australia’s first Augmented Reality (AR) hospital tour, as part of the hospital’s 45th birthday celebrations.
AR is technology which allows digital visual elements to be displayed onto the physical environment.
The exclusive tours, called ‘Past meets future’ will take place on Friday 17 November and Friday 24 November. They will showcase the history of Westmead Hospital through archival footage, documents, photographs and written historical information; combined with interactive design constructions of operating tables and other medical tools.
WSLHD Chief Executive, Graeme Loy said this is a unique opportunity to explore the vibrant journey of Westmead Hospital’s past, present and future.
“Westmead Hospital is a cornerstone of the western Sydney community and we are honoured to celebrate the legacy of the service and care of our staff over the past 45 years,” Mr Loy said.
Westmead Hospital General Manager, Jenelle Matic said attendees will be hosted by expert tour guides as they take an interactive journey through areas of the hospital which the general public would not normally have access to.
“This tour is a chance to immerse yourself in the clinical areas, research spaces and plans for the future,” Ms Matic said.
“This hospital has so many spectacular achievements and stories to its name, and we are a part of so many families, from births to significant moments, and this is a wonderful way to experience it all and celebrate what is to come.”
‘Past meets future’ producer Sean Bacon has created a remarkable AR experience, allowing the stories of the iconic Westmead Hospital to transcend time and place.
“Westmead Hospital has such a rich history, and building this immersive experience has really taken me on such a fun journey,” Mr Bacon said.
“Often these archival footage and photographs are lost to time, so the investment in preserving this slice of western Sydney history is a great honour.”
The tour is free to the public, with information about registration and booking here: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/past-meets-future-westmead-hospitals-augmented-reality-ar-tour-tickets-749638959307.
Summary of Westmead Hospital’s history
- Westmead Hospital opened its doors in 1978 to meet the growing demand for healthcare in western Sydney. The first 30 patient beds opened in November, with the official opening conducted by then NSW Premier Neville Wran.
- In April 1979, the first baby was born at Westmead Hospital. More than 5,500 babies are welcomed each year in the hospital.
- The hospital’s opening marked a time of unprecedented growth in clinical advancement, education, research and care. Now, Westmead Hospital publishes 70-80 research papers each month, with clinicians making their mark on the world stage.
- On a global scale, Westmead Hospital is home to healthcare innovation, research and technology – epitomised by the recent establishment of the Westmead Health Precinct.
- This year marks the 45-year anniversary of Westmead Hospital and this event is a demonstration of the hospital’s eagerness to engage cutting-edge technologies while providing a unique experience for attendees: bringing to life Westmead Hospital’s past through a celebration of what is to come.