Prince Harry announces Sydney will host 2018 edition of Invictus Games in a video starring Australian superstar Kylie Minogue.

Sydney will host the 2018 Invictus Games after the NSW Government won the bid to host the international sports tournament for wounded, ill and injured veterans, Britain’s Prince Harry announced on Saturday.

More than 500 serving and former personnel from 17 nations will compete in the multi-sports competition in Sydney.

Prince Harry, Patron of the Invictus Games Foundation, announced via videolink that Sydney had been selected as the 2018 host city, following in the footsteps of London (2014), Orlando (2016) and Toronto (2017).

Harry said Sydney won the hosting rights because it’s an iconic city, has a proud military heritage and is “absolutely sports mad.”

In a video released by the Invictus Foundation, Prince Harry, with a little help from Australian popstar Kylie Minogue, revealed the 4th Invictus Games will be held from 18-29, October, 2018. The 500 plus athletes from the 17 competing countries will participate in 11 sports. These events will be held in the Sydney Harbor and at Sydney Olympic Park.

Prince Harry said bringing the games to Sydney was an “easy decision”.

“We had three key criteria,” he said. “First, it had to be an iconic city – somewhere known the world over. Second, it needed to be a city with a proud military heritage, which would welcome competitors from all over the world with open arms. And finally, we wanted to go somewhere where they are absolutely sports mad and would really get behind our competitors. It was an easy decision really – the 2018 Invictus Games are coming to Sydney.”

NSW Premier Mike Baird said the Invictus Games would be one of the most significant events ever staged in NSW.

“The Invictus Games are testament to the formidable strength and resilience of our military veterans, and provide a powerful platform for raising awareness of the obstacles they face on and off the battlefield.

“In the final year of the Centenary of Anzac, Sydney stands ready to deliver the most exciting Invictus Games yet.”

The eight-day, 11-sport event will be held in October 2018 and attract up to 500 competitors from 17 nations in events such as swimming, wheelchair rugby and sailing on Sydney Harbour.

Minister for Veterans Affairs David Elliott said Sydney had a proven track record for hosting major events, including the Sydney 2000 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

“Invictus means ‘unconquered’ – these men and women are survivors who, every day, are champions in every sense. We welcome the athletes, their friends and family to our beautiful state,” Mr Elliott said.

NSW Deputy Premier Troy Grant said the Games would attract athletes from across NSW.

“We look forward to seeing the Invictus competitors from across our regions join a field of competitors who all share one common quality – a spirit that has triumphed over adversity,” Mr Grant said.

The 2018 Invictus Games will be delivered by the Australian International Military Games (AIMG) in the final year of the Centenary of Anzac.

Prince Harry at the 2016 Invictus Games in Orlando, Florida.

Prince Harry at the 2016 Invictus Games in Orlando, Florida.