“Sport and Recreation Centres use adventurous outdoor activities – like rock climbing, kayaking and archery – to help children to develop independence, self-esteem and social skills,” Mr Annesley said.
“Under the supervision of friendly and qualified staff, children get the opportunity to learn new skills and make new friends in a healthy outdoor environment.
“These days, it is all too easy for children to spend their school holidays glued to the TV, computer or other technology.
“With 11 different Sport and Recreation Centres located across NSW, there is plenty to choose from including an outback getaway,” Mr Annesley added.
The affordable Kids’ Camp packages are for children aged from seven to 16 and include accommodation, nutritious meals, 24-hour supervision and all activities.
Family holiday packages are available for groups of 20 up to 500.The government-run facilities offer both daytime and overnight school holiday programs for kids and families as well as community groups. Bookings have now opened for summer school holiday programs at NSW’s 11 Sport and Recreation Centres. Minister Annesley said Sport and Recreation Centre programs offer families a practical, enjoyable, and healthy alternative during the holidays.
“Broaden your children’s horizons during the upcoming school holidays with an exciting outdoor adventure at a Sport and Recreation Centre,” Mr Annesley said.
Sport and Recreation Centre locations:
· Sydney Academy (Sydney)
· Broken Bay (Hawkesbury)
· Milson Island (Hawkesbury)
· Myuna Bay (Hunter)
· Point Wolstoncroft (Hunter)
· Jindabyne (Snowy Mountains)
· Lake Burrendong (Western NSW)
· Lake Keepit (North West NSW)
· Lake Ainsworth (North Coast)
· Berry (South Coast)
· Borambola (Riverina)
Summer holiday kids’ camps (December 2012 – January 2013):
· Kids’ Club: a fun-filled daytime only camp
· Adventure Camp: 3-day beginner camp
· Campout 4 Boys: byo sleeping bag for this traditional camp experience for boys
· Mission Adrenalin: get ready for an action fuelled week of climbing activities, water activities and more
· Surf’s Up: ideal for beginners or intermediates, learn how to surf or improve your technique
· Endeavour: learn the basics of self-defence and mechanics in this all boys camp
· Horse Riders: saddle-up and experience the thrill of riding a horse
· Alpine Adventure: discover nature’s surrounds as you hike to the summit of Mount Kosciuszko
· Girls Empowerment: show your creative flair making a journal and enjoy lots of fun outdoor activities on this all girl camp
· Hooked on Fishing: learn the basics of fishing and experience the excitement of landing the ‘big one’
· Cooking 4 Kids: combine preparing, cooking and tasting your own food with traditional camp activities
· Set Sail: a great camp for beginner or intermediate sailors, learn the finer arts of sailing and enjoy other fun camp activities
· Kreative Kids: combine arts and crafts with lots of fun camp activities
· Make a Splash: get wet and wild with this mix of traditional camp activities and a variety of aquatic activities
· Water Wings: earn your water wings as you learn how to identify rips and dangerous conditions as well as basic CPR procedures, rescues and building confidence in the water